Completing your GP training
Navigating the path to general practice can be confusing. We can help you understand the training pathway and program.
Learn more about becoming a GP and your options:
- The Australia General Practice Training (AGPT) program, how to become a GP after medical school — all about the AGPT program, including steps to apply, choosing a medical college, RTOs and more
- Other pathways into general practice — find out about the different pathways into general practice in Australia, aside from the AGPT program.
- What you need to consider before applying for GP training — mandatory hospital rotations are more.
- Where to after Fellowship? — your options in general practice to extend your skills.
While many GP registrars go through training without experiencing problems, you may encounter issues during your training. Here are some common GP registrar concerns, and our suggestion on who is the best person to contact.
Contact GPRA if you have a question about GP registrar training or GP registrar employment.
Our resources include:
- Read more about the AGPT application and Selection process (pdf)
this one-page factsheet summarises the key information on becoming a GP registrar in 2018.
- Our 10 tips will help you get started in your GP Training (pdf)
tips to help you get started.
- GP Registrar guide (pdf) (read online)
this guide helps registrars navigate their way through the maze of general practice training and contains information on employment, training, examinations and wellbeing.
- GP First (read online)
this publication helps medical students and prevocational doctors navigate their way through exams, placement, hospital rotation through to general practice.
- Thriving in GP training (pdf)
- Getting started in GP training (pdf)
Coming to Australia as a doctor who trained overseas
Doctors who trained outside Australia may be subject to Section 19AB of the Health Insurance Act 1973, also known as the ‘10-year moratorium’. Visit the Australian Government Department of Health website Doctor Connect to find out more about working as a doctor in Australia.