What is an RTO?
The GP training program is delivered by a national network of Regional Training Organisations (RTO). The Department of Health contracts nine Regional Training Organisations (RTO) to deliver the AGPT Program.
Each of the nine RTOs occupies one or more training regions throughout Australia. A map of the training regions can be seen here.
To be accepted into the AGPT program you will apply through a medical college (ACRRM or RACGP), NOT an RTO.
This will be the college through which you will obtain your GP Fellowship. You must nominate either the rural pathway (training in rural or remote areas) or the general pathway (training in inner or outer metropolitan areas).
You will also nominate up to four training regions within a Regional Training Organisation (RTO). Your nominated RTO delivers your GP training. You can only choose a training region, not a specific location, and you will stay in that region for the duration of your training.
Applicants are shortlisted to their highest available training region preference. RTOs will advise applicants if they have received an offer.
- Applicants nominate their preferred training region/s; however they aren’t typically able to choose a specific location within that training region to undertake their training.
- Applicants are encouraged to choose up to four training region preferences.
- Applicants should choose training region/s they wish to train in, for the duration of their AGPT training.
- Applicants are only able to accept training place offers in one training region.
- An applicant’s eligibility will be assessed for the AGPT Program’s 2020 intake by the Department of Health.
It is recommended that applicants read the 2020 AGPT Eligibility Guidelines for detailed
information on eligibility.
The current RTOs and regions are below.
For more information, visit: agpt.com.au
- Western Victoria
Murray City Country Coast GP Training
1300 MCCC GP (1300 6222 47)
- Eastern Victoria
Eastern Victoria GP Training
1300 851 753
General Practice Training Tasmania
+61 (03) 6215 5000
- South Australia
1300 473 972 or 08 8490 0400
- Western Australia
Western Australia General Practice Education Training
(08) 9473 8200
- Northern Territory
Northern Territory General Practice Education
(08) 8946 7079
- North West Queensland
Generalist Medical Training
1300 823 874
- South East Queensland
General Practice Training Queensland
07 3552 8100
- New South Wales
GP Synergy Limited
1300 477 963